This is a question that we receive on the reg.
Vee Underwear is made from organic bamboo which embodies natural properties that make the fabric antibacterial, antifungal, breathable, odour-resistant and moisture-wicking (woah). All these properties help to support a healthy lower region, reducing the risk of vaginal irritation and exposure to yeast and fungal infections. And because our bamboo fabric is sustainably grown and ethically sourced, it’s good for your hoo-ha and the planet.
Bamboo Benefits For Planet
- Bamboo uses one third of the amount of water required to grow cotton.
- Bamboo has no natural pests, which means that it can grow without the use of pesticides or herbicides, unlike cotton.
- Bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world, making it a naturally renewable resource.
- Bamboo reduces nearly 5 times the amount of greenhouse gases (as it absorbs high amounts of excess carbon dioxide) and produces 35% more oxygen than equivalent trees.
- Bamboo fibre is 100% biodegradable and the natural decomposition process doesn’t cause any pollution to the environment.
Bamboo Benefits For Hoo-ha
- Bamboo has unique antibacterial and antifungal bio-agents found naturally in the fibre and the fabric maintains this quality. Even after multiple washes the fabric continues to fight off bad bacteria.
- Bamboo is highly water absorbent and can take in up to three times its weight in water. The fabric retains this ability, allowing any moisture to be pulled away from the skin and evaporated.
- Bamboo fabric is odour-resistant due to its ability to fight off bad bacteria.
- Bamboo is ultra-soft, making it the perfect fabric for sensitive areas.
In saying this, not all bamboo fabric is equal.
There are three main types of bamboo fabric; Organic Bamboo (Vee’s bamboo fabric), Viscose Bamboo and Linen Bamboo.
Organic Bamboo (Vee's Bamboo Fabric)
Organic bamboo is processed into a fibre using organic chemicals that are covered under the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and are 100% recyclable. The process utilises a ‘closed-loop’ system where all chemicals used are recycled and used again, and again. This means that no chemical waste is disposed of into the environment.
Our bamboo is harvested from wild farms without using any chemical weeding, herbicides or pesticides. We harvest our naturally gown bamboo trees at two years old and use an organic closed looped system called Tanboocell to make our bamboo fabric. The eco-friendly system is a patented technology developed by our manufacturer.
Viscose bamboo is processed into a fibre using heavy chemicals and therefore, is considered artificial. There are many different processes for manufacturing viscose fabrics, varying in the chemicals used and their subsequent impact on the environment. The main concern with viscose bamboo is the environmental impact that the disposal of the chemical waste has.
Linen bamboo can be processed into a fibre using a mechanical process, eliminating the need for any chemicals. The machine process crushes’ the bamboo plant and then uses natural enzymes to break down the bamboo into a fibre. Whilst this is the eco-friendliest manufacturing process for bamboo fabric, the final product is a rough texture (like linen), making it an unsuitable fabric for many products, like underwear.